The Roman Catholic church in Carracastle, Ballaghadeereen, County Mayo Ireland. The Parish Priest is Father. Michael Quinn.
The Judges, Breheny’s, Battles, Coleman families went to church at Carracastle. Many of the family were married there and or baptised thank goodness or we may not have any record of them today.
There are some interesting facts about Carracastle on Wikipedia about the twenty ring forts in Carracastle. Apparently the original church on the site of the present church, was a small thatched building which also served as a school house. Today the church in Carracastle was built in 1877 and officially opened and blessed on 21 October 1877.
The Carracastle cemetery is directly opposite this church. There are five other cemeteries also in the vicinity:
- Rhue Cemetery approx. 10.8km away.
- Banada Cemetery approx.12.4km away
- Gurteen Cemetery approx. 12.9km away.
- Cloonameehan Cemetery approx. 13.9km away.
- Achonry Cathedral & Graveyard approx.14.2km away.